Saturday, February 11, 2012

Follow Your Bliss

Follow your bliss...

I've been chasing that phrase for a few years now, and though I know I'm closer to my bliss than I once was, I wonder if we're ever meant to truly find it?  Perhaps we're just supposed to enjoy the quest...


A few years back, I had convinced myself that I loved my job. Granted, I worked excruciatingly long hours, my stress level was high, my satisfaction level was low, and most of the hard work I did seemed to be, well, let's just say it seemed to be more expected as opposed to being appreciated.  On the flip-side, I'd been there eleven years; I had the freedom to come and go as I pleased (well, I could have if I had the time); I had great benefits - including four weeks of vacation time (some year, I planned to actually take a vacation); I had worked myself up to a high level of responsibility and respect (ouch, double-edged sword, right there); and the people I encountered on a daily basis were enjoyable to be around - that one is irrefutable. 

Eventually,  I saw the job and me in it for what it was.  If life really was a journey, mine was passing me by while I was stoking the coals under the ship.  It was time for me to get up on deck and enjoy life! 

I took a year off after leaving that job and I can't count the number times I was told in that year to, "follow your bliss".

I've learned since then that following your bliss is easier said than done, especially in a double-dip recession.  I've spent innumerable hours behind my camera as well as at my keyboard writing.  I've done a bit of marketing and I also took a job bookselling for awhile - for me, anytime spent around books is a delight.  I've tried several things, but I feel as though I'm still navigating the terrain - still continuing on my journey. 


Times have changed in only a few short years.  Current common wisdom holds that I should have been happy just to have had a job, so yes, unlike many others, I am aware that it was my choice to be here in this place. But, when I left my job, the housing bubble had not yet burst and tens of thousands of newly unemployed were not yet roaming the Internet.  But what that means is as the crisis continues and employers decide they can do fine with the scaled back staff they currently have, more people are stepping into my world, wandering if it's worthwhile to look for alternatives to the business or corporate world.  When I first stepped away, this new path was a bit frightening, so I wandered through the landscape at my own pace and shuffled along, enjoying the view.  Now, I'm beginning to feel the need to pick up the pace and the silence behind me has been replaced by the din of voices. Mine is now but one small voice in my idyllic wilderness.  Just one small voice among many.


Hello out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment